Board screwing up/MGS2: Lost in Translation Hyper Edition
01-16-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: Board screwing up/MGS2: Lost in Translation Hyper Edition
Maybe that's how it was supposed to be and the English version is fucked ip.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-19-2016, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 12:47 AM by DarthCaligula.)
Maybe I didn't make it clear, but I was talking about how it's different in the HD version. And I made a mistake in my complaint. It's not the video that got some time cut off, it's the audio. At the beginning of the song there's this high pitched noise, but it was cut out in this version. Some idiot probably thought the noise was a mistake and edited that part out, then no one checked to see if the thing actually matched up. Some AAA quality control there.

I finally got to play some more today, up to the fight with Ocelot.

When Zero gives Big Boss the cigar, he says it's from Havana, rather than just saying it's Cuban.

In the conversation between Johnson and Krushev, Johnson sounds more smug and in control in Japanese. In English I got the sense that he was more just going "Who, me?" when Krushev accuses him of all this.

I noticed that the poster in Big Boss's drone is Yumi Kikuchi. I thought her name was familiar and it turns out that she was Raging Raven in MGS4.

"Who are the Patriots?" and "La li lu le lo."
So I finally got to hear the word in Japanese more clearly, though it's actually only three fourths of the title that was in MGS2. "Patriot" is said as "Aikokusha" using the characters for "love" "country" and "person" ("person" as in one who does something, rather than for the concept of an individual person, if you get what I mean). I can't remember now for some reason, but I think in MGS2 when they say "La li lu le lo" it's written in katakana, but this time, it was written in hiragana (katakana is generally used for foreign words, emphasis, sound effects, and sounding things out. Hiragana is used for native words generally).

This is also the first time I've played Snake Eater since playing Peace Walker, and I noticed that before the scene with The Boss, there are a bunch of butterflies in the area. Is this a recurring thing in the game, butterflies appearing around The Boss? Because in Peace Walker, butterflies are constantly used with The Boss and Peace Walker.

I noticed that Zero and Big Boss seem pretty friendly when talking to each other. At least, they seem more friendly than they did in the English version, like these two are friends who have known each other for a while.

"There's no need to prove you are virtuous."
She actually says "virtuous" in English here. The subtitles show the equivalent kanji with katakana for "virtuous" above it. Likely because it's obviously calling back to the Virtuous Mission.

In the call after Big Boss gets beat up by The Boss, I noticed that Zero really seems to want The Boss dead, and he really gets angry when Big Boss starts arguing back. I'd say this is the first big surprise I've seen for the differences in voice acting.

I know there's this theory going around about how Suzetta Minet is actually Debbi Mae West, so maybe some of you are wondering about Eva's Japanese voice. Well, first of all, the voice is clearly of a different woman, and I looked up the voice actress, Misa Watanabe, and she has a long career, so there's pretty much zero chance that this is Terase.

When Big Boss and Eva are talking about the M1911, they say "engrave" and "tactical advantage" in English, again with the equivalent kanji in subtitles with katakana above.

"Broomhandle" is also said in English, and with the kanji and katakana.

When the Ocelot unit shows up, Eva calls them "yamaneko" so it seems safe to say that "Ocelot" is used for the character, and "yamaneko" is used for his unit. I never really thought about this before, but it seems that we were supposed to notice a similarity between Snake and Ocelot. Both have animal names, and in Japanese, when Big Boss is given the name "Snake" they say "hebi", Japanese for "snake" a few times, and this still comes up every so often, and the same sort of thing is kind of going on with Ocelot and "yamaneko", which is "mountain cat" as I explained before.

This is also not really connected with translation stuff, but I actually saw something in this game that I had never seen before this time through. When I fought Ocelot, I shot the beehive above him at one point, and later on, he actually did the same thing back at me. I've never seen him use the beehive trick on me before, and I thought it was really cool.

In the 007 save conversation, after Zero rants about how much he loves James Bond, when Para-Medic talks to Big Boss about how Zero's obsessed with James Bond, she's actually whispering. Obviously it's supposed to be that since she's in the plane with him, she doesn't want Zero overhearing her.

This also reminds me of something that I notice that I forgot to mention about MGS2. When Emma is dying, being held by Hal, Snake and Raiden talk about the computer virus. In Japanese, you can clearly hear them whispering, likely so that Emma won't hear and get worried. They only seem to raise their voices when the virus fails, and that's when Emma asks if something is wrong.
01-19-2016, 09:15 AM
(01-19-2016 12:46 AM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I noticed that the poster in Big Boss's drone is Yumi Kikuchi. I thought her name was familiar and it turns out that she was Raging Raven in MGS4.

Yeah, and Strangelove, and Mei Ling in mgs4 (at least mo-cap but I thought voice too maybe)

And also
[Image: rukPHOQ.gif]
[Image: wkB7a7A.png]

There was a downright hilarious Hideo/Yumi fanfic posted here some years back. Can't find it now though. I think it was called "Hideous Sin" or something similar.

Quote:I know there's this theory going around about how Suzetta Minet is actually Debbi Mae West, so maybe some of you are wondering about Eva's Japanese voice. Well, first of all, the voice is clearly of a different woman, and I looked up the voice actress, Misa Watanabe, and she has a long career, so there's pretty much zero chance that this is Terase.

They should probably do a convention panel together just to put at end to it.
01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
She is Strangelove it turns out, but Mei Ling's voice in MGS4 is the same as in MGS1, Houko Kuwashima.

The weird thing about Suzetta Minet is that she only has credits for Snake Eater and Peace Walker, and no picture: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1779513/?ref_=tt_cl_t2
The voices do sound a lot alike as well, so I'm willing to believe that she might actually be Debbi Mae West. It's all just so weird.

Oh yeah, and thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure that Eva mentioned Ocelot, and then I called Zero and he mentioned the "yamaneko" unit. Just wanted to be exact with this stuff.
01-20-2016, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 12:33 AM by DarthCaligula.)
Before I start, I had one more thing to say about the Minet/Mae West conspiracy. In Peace Walker, Minet is credited as both Eva and the female soldiers, and hearing the female soldiers, they sound exactly like Meryl, so I think this is the nail in the coffin that connects them. Either that, or they sound incredibly alike, which seems pretty unlikely.

I got to the point just after fighting The Fear. Not much to say this time.

As you might imagine, The Pain and The Fear both have their names in English, written out in katakana in the subtitles, and they both use Japanese words that mean "pain" and "fear" when they talk. The Fear used at least four different Japanese words that mean "fear".

The magazines in that one building are Japanese video game magazines mostly, which I figured they would be.

In the save conversation for "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", Para-Medic gets really excited talking about it. Big Boss seems annoyed.

And that's pretty much all that stood out. I might as well mention that I loved it that Michael Bell did The Fear's voice in English, since I'm a Legacy of Kain fan. Also cool that Richard Doyle did The Fury's voice, and Neil Ross was Volgin.
01-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I remember Debbie saying in an interview it wasn't her though, can't imagine what reason she'd have for lying.
01-22-2016, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 10:37 PM by DarthCaligula.)
Unless she's in on some crazy conspiracy Kojima thought up because he loves doing that sort of thing.

I got up to the point right after beating the Fury.... I have to admit, I died twice against him.... I feel like such a loser. That fire just does so much damage....

There was a pretty interesting little thing in the dialogue right before the fight with The End. I couldn't totally follow what they were saying, but based on context, I think I know what part in the dialogue this is. So when Big Boss or Zero (can't remember for some reason which one said it) that Big Boss has had sniper experience in urban and aquatic environments, above the kanji for what I assume must be the concept of "urban" and "aquatic", it says "MGS1" and "MGS2".

When Eva and Big Boss are talking about The Boss, I noticed that Eva refers to The Boss as Big Boss's "koibito". So the thing is that "koi" is a word for love, but it's more like a secret love, a crush you could say. "Ai" is used more for love in the general context from what I understand. In contrast, when Volgin electrocutes Eva earlier, during the part when The Fear runs away on top of the water, Volgin refers to Tanya as Sokolov's "aijin". I don't totally understand this, but "aijin" has more the sense of "lover" you could say. Your boyfriend or girlfriend, that sort of thing. The kanji for "bito" and "jin" is the same, by the way, it pretty much means "person".

Also, I can't believe I never thought of this before, but this is about Eva's boots. I always thought that Ocelot just noticed the dirt on her boots, and suspected that she must have been up to something, but this time I noticed a detail that I had always missed before. When Big Boss comes in, Eva is changing clothes and she kicks her more grayish Tanya boots under a chair. When she leaves the room, she leaves the boots there, and then gets on her motorcycle and leaves, still leaving her Tanya boots behind, and you can even see them under the chair when you take control again. So what Ocelot notices is that Tanya is now wearing darker boots, which is why he says "Nice boots." I can't believe it took me all these years to put that together.

"He's good..."
When Ocelot says this in Japanese, it's quieter. He's talking to himself, impressed with Big Boss's skills, to take out all these guys and get so far. Volgin overhears Ocelot quietly talking to himself and makes fun of Ocelot.

Also, one other thing I forgot to mention about the yamaneko unit that I found kind of interesting and strange is that when they do the room clearing during the fight with them, they actually say "Move!" in English. The subtitle shows the kanji for "move" and above it is "Move!" in katakana. I just thought it was kind of strange, with these guys being Russian, speaking dialogue translated into Japanese.
01-23-2016, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2016 11:59 PM by DarthCaligula.)
I got a bit farther. Got interrupted during the part when Volgin tortures Big Boss, so I'll have to get back to that.

Raikov is voiced by Kenyu Horiuchi. I mostly just interrogated him to hear his voice. I can't remember if I had done it before (with the dozens of times I've played through this, I must have), but I noticed him mention April 30th, and I think he said something like "What is my name?" There's no joke with his voice like the super high pitched English voice that was obviously a parody of Flynn's terrible portrayal.

I decided to take a closer look at the girly magazine as well while I was at it. In Japanese the magazine is called Sabra. It turns out it's some Japanese girly magazine. It has pictures of a Japanese woman in her underwear. On the cover is I think the same woman, and it says "Gamer's Heaven '06".

Since the inside of Grozny Grad has a room with lots of the gaming magazines, I decided to knock out the scientist in there with my knock out cig and shoot the magazines up to see what's inside. And since they're totally random in how it lands, I ended up using an entire suppressor doing this until I finally got to see it all.
One has a Snake Eater cover and inside of it are some game reviews with only the scores really being all that visible. It's a review for a Metal Gear game, but I'm not sure which one, though it's probably for Snake Eater.
One has an MGS4 cover and inside of it are some pictures from MGS4. I noticed some profiles for characters and could make out Snake, Meryl, Raiden I think, Rose, Naomi, Campbell, and there was someone else, I couldn't tell. There was also this silly little comic in there that I think shows a few examples of Snake hiding, with him ending up at some traditional Japanese building from centuries ago I think.
And the last one has a Peace Walker cover and inside of it is some Sniper Wolf stuff, with the page on the right showing that one Shinkawa art of her naked except for her coat and boots.

That poster of Shoko Hamada in the locker room looks really low quality for some reason. The other posters throughout the game look fine, but that one looks bad for some strange reason.

So yeah, not too much this time. I was mostly just screwing around, experimenting with some things to see if I could find anything interesting, and also figured that this was my best chance to get a look at all those magazines.
01-27-2016, 12:44 AM
So I just got to the part when the Shagohod chase begins. Not much to say though.

I'm having a hard time catching the name of the Philosophers in Japanese. All I get is the kanji for "person/one who does..." and the kanji before it obviously would be the "philosophy" part, but I can never remember what it looks like to look up later.

OK, so this isn't really about the translation, more about the plot of the game, and since I'm playing it in Japanese, I don't get everything that's being said. Is that microfilm that Volgin took from Eva something she did? I remember seeing something on the History Channel I think about spy stuff, and they talked about microfilm. From what I understand, it's made by taking a picture of something, then you develop the film, set that developed picture somewhere, take a picture of that, and then you have really small film that's easy to hide. Sounds kind of weird, you'd think that the quality of the picture would decrease each time. Anyway, is that microfilm supposed to be something Eva made, taking a picture of the Philosopher's Legacy to take back, or is it something she stole from Volgin's underground vault? I can't remember.

When Eva pulls out the lipstick bullet to try to kill Volgin, I think in English she said "Go to hell!" In Japanese, she says in English, "Fuck... You...!"

When Ocelot defies Volgin, I remember in English he calls Volgin by his name, rather than "Colonel". In Japanese, he doesn't say Volgin's name, but instead some some Japanese word I don't know. He's probably saying something rude and disrespectful I'd imagine.

And that's all I really have to comment on this time.
01-28-2016, 01:25 AM
I just got to the fight with The Boss, and I stopped there so I could pay attention to the ending when I play it next.

"Son of a bitch!"
Ocelot yells this in the English version when Volgin fires the rocket engine in his face. In Japanese, he yells "Bitch!" The English word.

"Prove your loyalty!"
When The Boss says this in Japanese, in the subtitles it says in English above kanji "Loyalty".

In the last few lines that The Boss says before they fight, she sounds really happy. She's enjoying this moment. She is The Joy after all.
01-28-2016, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 06:56 AM by John Doom.)
Now that I've subscribed at last, let me thank you for your efforts with this thread: I'm following it with interest since the day it was started. Keep it up!

(01-28-2016 01:25 AM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  In the last few lines that The Boss says before they fight, she sounds really happy. She's enjoying this moment. She is The Joy after all.

Yeah, she does look happy in that scene, but otherwise talks with the same monotone voice in the English dubbing Big Grin
01-28-2016, 09:19 AM
I hate The Boss' voice. She sounds like she's reading lines, and she's so robotic. Seriously, The Boss was acted as well as Naomi in TTS.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Well, I'd put Lori Alan's performance as The Boss above the horrible performances by Jennifer Hale for Naomi in TTS, and Heather Halley for Para-medic. Both of them sound like they were hit with animal tranquilizers before doing their readings. I think that Lori Alan went for a somewhat more subdued way of playing The Boss, like she's accepted that this is her final mission that will end with her death. Like I said before, I quite liked her when I first played the game and for years after, but when I replayed the game a few years back, I wasn't as impressed. But yeah, Kikuko Inoue is better, but it feels kind of repetitive to say that the Japanese voice is better when talking about this game.
I haven't commented much on the voices in this game, but that's because for the most part, I think the English voices were fine. Ocelot sounds a bit more like a jackass in Japanese, like he loves pissing people off, but the English voice did a fine job with that as well I think. Though as I've pointed out, there were a few subtleties we missed out on, like Ocelot talking to himself when thinking about how good Big Boss is.
I can't remember if I mentioned this, but The End sounds more like a dick in a way. In English I got the impression that he respects Big Boss, but in Japanese he sounds like some old asshole who loves pissing off this young guy.
Also, talking about the Japanese voices, at this point I have to say that Otsuka really is the true voice of Solid Snake/Solidus Snake/Big Boss for me. This guy is great. Not that I think that Hayter, Cygan, and Sutherland did bad jobs (though I really wish that Sutherland had been given more material to work with, so I could really judge him).
02-04-2016, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 01:51 PM by DarthCaligula.)
This is... The End.

OMGWTFLMAO THAT'S SO FUNNY I BET NO ONE'S MADE THAT JOKE BEFORE!!!!!

So yeah, I finally beat the game.

First, there was a little thing I forgot to mention last time. You probably remember that if you shoot Eva with a tranquilizer, she starts talking in her sleep. In English she says:

"Snake, that feels so good."
"Boss, that feels so good."
"Fido, that feels so good."

It's only a little different in Japanese. She says more "That feels so good, The Boss." for example. She also says "Pochi", which is the stereotypical dog name in Japan, just like "Fido" in Western countries (or at least, the US).

When The Boss hands Big Boss the Patriot gun, Big Boss says "Patriot" in English, and the subtitle says "Aikokusha" with "Patriot" in katakana above it.
Also, when Eva says that The Boss was a true patriot, she says "Aikokusha" and above it in the subtitles it says in katakana "Patriot".
Oh yeah, I finally caught what that last word is in the name for The Patriots in Japanese. It's "tachi", which makes it plural pretty much. "Aikokusha" is a single person who loves their country, while "aikokushatachi" is more like "Those who love their country".

"You're not a snake, and I'm not an ocelot."
Again, probably obvious by now, but he says "hebi" for snake, and "yamaneko" for ocelot, and each of them have the English word (like with their code names) above in katakana.

For the song during the credits, it has the lines translated into Japanese subtitles on the right side, going downwards, like traditional Japanese.

Now the name Big Boss, this is kind of interesting. So when he's awarded with the name "Big Boss" it says "BIGBOSS" in the subtitles. I found this interesting so I decided to look deeper into the series and just how "Big Boss" is written in the subtitles.
In the timeline after Snake Eater ends, the name is in katakana.
I only played it for a little bit, but in Metal Gear, it uses katakana for his name. Also, it says "OPERATION INTRUDE N313" written just like that.
In MGS2, when GW is going crazy, during the part when you're fighting alongside Snake, one of the things he says is a quote from Big Boss from Metal Gear. In that, it's written as "BIG BOSS" also with "OVER".
After Raiden listens in on Solidus, Ocelot, and Olga, if you keep calling Campbell, he talks about Big Boss and Outer Heaven a bit. He says the name and it's displayed in katakana.

So I was wondering if "BIGBOSS" was some reference back to the first game, but from what I've seen, it might not be. Maybe some time I'll play through more of Metal Gear in Japanese just to check this.

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to playing MGS4 in Japanese. I admit, even though Metal Gear 2 is a better game, I have in fact played through MGS4 more. Because I played Metal Gear 2 twice, and MGS4 three times, though I got pissed at the horrible ending fight with Liquid Ocelot and stopped playing that third time.
I've got a good feeling about this game, that there's going to be some interesting things to find in Japanese. I'm really looking forward to Screaming Mantis, to see if she actually screams like Rose is talking about during the fight.
02-04-2016, 02:32 PM
You know, MGS4 is so barebone and streamlined you could almost cover its entirety by watching its cutscenes on youtube, if you don't feel like playing it Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)